Building Engineering Systems Design Considerations
Download the Building Engineering Systems Design Considerations Document
A. HVAC Design Considerations
1. Design Guidance
In addition to incorporating the specified design program and the general design parameters noted and/or referenced herein, the University has established the following specific HVAC criteria for all buildings:
- Campus Geothermal System, refer to attachment, dated June 3, 2010 and Connection Detail, dated March 10, 2013
- No internal duct lining, except where ductwork is exposed in a space where appearance matters, or exceptional acoustic parameters apply.
- Preferred valve manufacturer for conditioned water – Bellimo – which is higher quality and more universally adaptable to controllers.
- 5-year warranty required parts and labor for chillers, boilers, evaporators, condensers, all climate control equipment and the like. WCU will need to discuss with the design team the costs associated with these warranty requirements.
- Existing buildings noises from variable speed drives or other equipment is a distraction; pay attention to this issue and review with the University.
- Keep heat pumps above ceilings in corridors, or in closets
- Cool all MDF/IDF rooms and IT/AV closets to a minimum of 72 degrees
B. Plumbing Design Considerations
1. Design Guidance:
- Vacuum breakers, where used, must not be buried in the walls
- No compression fittings before valves when stubbing though wall under sinks
- No saddle valves
- Provide autoflush toilet fixtures and autosinks at all locations unless otherwise specifically noted.
2. Plumbing Fixtures/Fittings
- Provide wall mounted sinks – manufacturers to be specified: American Standard, Kohler, TOTO
- Lavatory faucets – manufacturers to be specified: Sloan, Moen, TOTO
- Provide wall mounted urinals – manufacturers to be specified: American Standard, Kohler, TOTO
- Urinal Flushometer – manufacturers to be specified: Sloan, TOTO, Moen Design standard: Sloan Optima® Exposed Urinal Flushometers, Model 180 ES-S Alternate Design standard: Sloan Optima® Concealed Urinal Flushometers, Model 192 WB ES-S
Commercial Water Closets
- Provide wall mounted water closets – manufacturers to be specified: American Standard, Kohler, TOTO
- WC Flushometer – manufacturers to be specified: Sloan, TOTO, Moen
- Automatic toilet flush valve – design basis is Sloan valves
- Concealed WC Flushometer – design basis Sloan Optima® Concealed Water Closet Flushometers with Wall Box, Model 153 WB ES-S
- Sloan Optima® Exposed Water Closet Flushometers, Model 110 ES-S
- Sloan Optima Series Model RESS-C-MC – for retrofits
- WC Toilet Seat – manufacturers to be specified: Bemis, Church, American Standard
Showers (in Resident Halls)
- Shower fixture manufacturers to be specified: Symmons, Powers (preferred)
- At all units provide pressure balancing mixing valves, chrome plated metal lever handle, soap dish, vandal resistant shower head, adjustable spray and volume control and chrome plated large ball joint, wall bracket/anchor plate
Commercial / Common Areas
- Supply Fittings
- Preferred – no burst flexible supply lines (only under cabinets)
- Hard pipe – especially under wall hung sinks
- Shut off valves – quarter turn valves, no key operations
- Utility Sinks
- Manufacturers to be specified: Elkay, Advance, Tabco, Just Manufacturing
- Faucets – Manufacturers to be specified: T&S, Moen and Kohler
- Break Romms
- Faucets – Manufacturers to be specified: Moen, T&S, Kohler
- Custodial Closets-Mop sinks:
- Floor mounted service sink with a minimum size of 3’x2’ with 11” sides, located in back corner. The wall around the sink must be tiled or fitted with a splash guard.
- Hot and cold water faucet 30” above bottom of service sink.
- Basis of Design model: Chicago faucet No. 897 with vacuum break ¾” hose thread spout with pail hook No. 369 handles, wall brace No. R ½ flanged female adjustable arms with integral stops and polished chromium plated.
- Mop Receptors faucets – T&S, Chicago, Moen
C. Electrical Design Considerations
1. Design Guidance
- General: Electrical Systems, refer to attachment, dated June 24, 2014.
- Review metering requirements with WCU shops
- Building lighting parameters
- Site Lighting See information provided under Site Design Considerations
- Clocks: American Time & Signal, A/C powered and radio controlled , SQ56BAAD304
- Fire Alarm
- The fire alarm panel must be fed with emergency power
- All telecom HUBs that feedback the fire alarm information by fiber are to be on UPS or emergency power
- Section 27 51 16: Paging System, refer to attachment, dated July 19, 2010.
- Section 28 13 00: Access Control, dated February 23, 2012.
- Section 28 23 00, Video Surveillance, dated April 29, 2012
- Section 28 26 23, Personal Safety Emergency System, dated April 29, 2012
- Cool All MDF/IDF rooms and IT/AV closets to a minimum of 72 degrees