The Learning Assistance and Resource Center proudly embraces the values of West Chester University and remains committed to treating all members of our community with respect and dignity. Read the full WCU Values statement.
fall weekly tutor registration begins tuesday, august 30th
See below for details.
THE LEARNING ASSISTANCE AND RESOURCE CENTER
The Learning Assistance and Resource Center provides academic support through tutoring and academic success coaching services to promote independent and active learners at West Chester University.
To bring the Learning Assistance and Resource Center into the Digital Age, including more online tutoring and success coaching options, virtual staff assistance, and more online collaboration opportunities
To continue and develop on-campus partnerships with various academic and co-curricular units, faculty members, and offices to enhance student support
To be a model for best practices of tutoring and success coaching services through faculty, staff, and student research and to put theory into practice
To be implementing, evaluating, and assessing the methods to continuously improve the department services
Students will walk away from the Learning Assistance and Resource Center with one or more of the following:
The ability to apply learning strategies to promote their own student success in various disciplines
Leadership skills to be used in their future career and educational opportunities
Gain self-awareness through identifying personal strengths and building up areas of improvement
We want you to walk out of the LARC a little more confident than you walked in.
Important LARC Information
If you are looking to set up a weekly, recurring session for tutoring for Fall 2022, visit our virtual registration room below Monday-Fridays 9am-3pm to text with a LARC staff member. You can also visit us in-person. The first day to sign-up for weekly tutoring for Fall 2022 is Tuesday, August 30th at 7:15am.
Students are able to make individual appointments for Fall 2022 virtual tutoring on WC Online starting Friday, September 2nd at 3pm.
- All LARC services are free to students.
- The LARC will offer both in-person and virtual tutoring sessions for Fall 2022. While we encourage the use of masks, they are optional at this time.
- All in-person sessions will take place in 224 Lawrence (except Music, which will be in Swope Music Library).
- Tutor Registration for Weekly, Recurring Sessions will open on Tuesday, August 30th and be open until November 18th. Success Coaching will be available in-person or online starting Monday, August 29th. Students can make Success Coaching appointments starting Monday, August 22nd.
- Any question regards to tutoring should be directed to Dr. Kaitlyn Machcinski at KMACHCINSKI@WCUPA.EDU.
- Any question regards to success coaching or Academic Success Workshops should be directed to Dr. Rita Patel Eng at RPATELENG@WCUPA.EDU.
- In-person tutoring sessions take place in 224 Lawrence Hall
- Virtual sessions take place in the tutor zoom link
- Fall Tutor Links can be found here!
- Winter 2023 tutoring information will be posted here in November 2022.
- Students are responsible for canceling their own appointments. All students can cancel an individual appointment by logging onto WC Online.
- Students can cancel up to 30-minutes in advance. Anything less than 30-minute notice will be considered a "no-show."
- If a student has three "no-shows" (aka three missed appointments), there WC Online account will be locked. As long as they are not in the same course, a LARC staff member will notify the student and unlock the account.
- If a student misses three sessions of the SAME COURSE (e.g. three BIO 110 sessions), the rest of the schedule will be cancelled and a students account will remain locked.
- We at the LARC try to provide flexibility to students by allowing cancellations up to 30-minutes in advance. We prefer that students stay home if they are feeling ill. If an emergency arises (e.g. illness that required a doctor's visit, car accident, funeral, etc.), please reach out to LARC staff and discuss having the appointment cancelled after the fact.
What are students saying about our tutors?
- "Clara is good at explaining the concepts in a different manner that makes them easier to understand and remember."
- "[Niajah] she knows what she is talking about. She is able to demonstrate lessons and how things work in [biology] on the whiteboard, and high makes it easier to understand."
- "[Lindsay's] strengths [are] being able to explain step by step how to complete chem math equations. She was great and I was able to be successful in the course due to her."
- "[Samantha] is great with connecting the Spanish language to relate to our life today which makes it a lot more relatable and easy to understand ."
- "Kelsey’s greatest strengths include patience and being an easy person to communicate with; overall, someone who knows how to “teach” / make sense of a problem in a simpler way."
- "[Austin] is always willing to help, and is very flexible. Also, he helped me receive a better grade in the class by teaching the material and breaking it down."
- "Liz listens very well and aids in any math problem and makes it easy to learn."
- "[Ethan's] greatest strength [is] giving real life examples and making complex topics so much easier to comprehend. We covered a lot of good information"
*All quotes taken from Fall 2021 anonymous tutor evaluation surveys.