Forging a new path…CHARGE!
About 30% of West Chester University students are first generation students. While being the first to do anything can be a bit daunting, going off to college is also a major milestone.
You’re not alone! West Chester’s First is here to help you connect and thrive at WCU – from application to graduation.
OUR MISSION is to:
celebrate and support WCU's first-generation college students by providing access to resources, opportunities to connect, and spaces to build a sense of community.
Am I a “first-generation” college student?
The formal definition of a first-generation college student is a student whose parent(s) or guardian(s) did not complete a four-year college degree.
At WCU, if one of these statements applies to you, you’re a first-generation student!
- You’re the first person in your family to attend college
- None of your parent(s) or guardian(s) attended college
- None of your parent(s) or guardian(s) completed a college degree
Why West Chester’s First?
Not only is there a large population of first-gen students on campus, there is a large population of faculty, staff, and administrators who forged the college-path for their family.
In two simple words: We understand. College and the college process can be stressful at times. West Chester’s First is here to:
- gain a sense of belonging and establish your identity on our campus
- improve your skills to become a successful student
- help increase awareness surrounding you and your family’s needs as first-generation student
West Chester’s First is here to help you connect and thrive at WCU – from application to graduation.
We're here for you!
West Chester's First would like to recognize and thank the Justamere Foundation for the their generous 2022-23 grant.