Graduation and Commencement
Use myWCU to:
- Apply for Graduation at 90 Credits
- Change Your Graduation Term
- Run a Degree Progress Report (DPR)
- Order a Certified Electronic Diploma (CeDiploma)
- Order a Replacement Paper Diploma
#WCUgraduation Checklist for Undergraduate Students
All communication will be through your myWCU email account.
Apply to Graduate when you have 90 Completed Credits - See the "Apply to Graduate" section for further information.
Timeline and Dates
Below are the dates when the Graduation Application is available on myWCU, by term. Additionally, we have indicated which Commencement Ceremony students should attend.
|Graduation Term - Undergraduates Only
|Spring 2022 (May)||Jan 1, 2021||Application is now late, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.||May 2022|
|Summer 1, Summer 2, Summer Post 2022||Jan 1, 2021||Application is now late, please email email@example.com to apply.||May 2022|
Fall 2022 (December)
|July 1, 2021||Sept 1, 2022||December 2022|
|Winter 22/23 (Winter)||July 1, 2021||Sept 1, 2022||December 2022|
|Spring 2023 (May)||Jan 1, 2022||Feb 1, 2023||May 2023|
|Summer 1, Summer 2, Summer Post 2023||Jan 1, 2022||Feb 1, 2023||May 2023|
* Please visit the Commencement website for more information and details regarding the ceremony.
* All questions regarding the commencement ceremony can be directed firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to graduate when you have 90 completed credits - this permits enough time to review your General Education Requirements to ensure you are on track.
How To Apply
- Confirm your anticipated graduation date with your advisor. Please be aware that your anticipated graduation date must at the end of the semester of your last required courses for your degree.
- Apply to graduate online through your myWCU. Click on the Apply for Graduation link and follow the prompts.
- Dual major musts apply under each major.
- If your graduation term is not available, email Degree Completion and request a Late Graduation Application form. If applying late, your name may not appear in the Commencement Booklet.
How to Change My Graduation Term
You will not be permitted to register for courses in any term after your applied graduation term. For example, if you applied to graduate in Spring, but realize you need to take a class in the Summer to complete a graduation requirement, you will not be permitted to register until you change your graduation term.
To change your graduation term, please use myWCU.
Run Your Degree Progress Report (DPR) and Review with Your Advisor
- At least 30 of your last 60 credits must be taken at WCU.
- At least 50% of the major and at least 50% of the minor must be taken at WCU.
The DPR does not calculate residency requirements, so they must be checked manually.
General Education Requirements
- After a student applies for graduation, a Graduation Analyst is alerted and reviews the General Education requirements.
- Once the General Education requirement review is completed, a note will be placed on the Degree Progress Report regarding the outcome. The student will also receive an email to their WCU email account.
Questions? - EmailDegree Completion.
Major, Minor, and Certificate Requirements
- After a student applies for graduation, the student should reach out to their Academic Advisor or Department Chairperson regarding outstanding major, minor, and/or certificate requirements.
Students should be running their Degree Progress Report every term and reviewing it with their advisor.
Update Your Personal Information in myWCU
- Update Your Home Address
- Diplomas will be sent to your home address, so make sure that is updated.
- Update Your Email
- Enter a Post Graduation email address, so we can keep in contact with your after your graduate.
Clear Your Holds
A hold on your record will prevent you from receiving your diploma or from ordering an official transcript, even if you have successfully completed all of your academic requirements.
Some of the most commons hold that will prevent you from receiving your diploma or ordering your official transcript include, but are not limited to:
If you received a Federal Student Loan as part of your Financial Aid Package, you are required to complete Exit Counseling before you graduate. Financial Aid will clear your Financial Aid hold on your myWCU typically within 24-72 hours after completing your Exit Counseling.
Questions? - Visit the Financial Aid website, call 610-436-2627, or email theFinancial Aid Office.
If you have a past due balance for tuition or fees, or if you received a Perkins Loan, a Perkins Loan Exit Interview may be required to be completed.
Questions? - Visit the Bursar website or call 610-436-2552.
The Department of Public Safety has an online service for students to pay tickets. Your WCU user name and password are required.
|Library||Make sure all fines have been paid and all library resources have been returned.|
You now have the unique opportunity to enhance your résumé and prepare for life after graduation by completing a #WCUFinLit Certification in areas such as Personal Finance and Managing Credit. Please visit the #WCUFinLit web portal to learn more.
If you would like a one-on-one consultation, please email theFinancial Aid Office.
Commencement ceremonies are held in December (following Fall semester) and May (following Spring semester).
- Fall and Winter graduates participate in the December Commencement.
- Winter graduates will not have their degree awarded until after the Winter term and their final course(s) have been graded.
- Spring and Summer graduates participate in the May Commencement.
- Summer graduates will not have their degree awarded until after the Summer term and their final course(s) have been graded.
Graduation honors are awarded as followed, based on your final transcript:
|Summa Cum Laude||3.750 - 4.000|
|Magna Cum Laude||3.500 - 3.749|
|Cum Laude||3.250 - 3.499|
- The honors list for Commencement is based on the cumulative GPA from the next-to-last semester before a student graduates.
- Student who do not earn honors until the end of their final semester will have the honors recorded on their diploma and final transcripts.
Several checks need to occur before a degree can be awarded.
- Grades Are Posted
- It typically takes 6 days after the last day of the semester for official grades to be posted for a semester. All grades posted must be final before a student is considered eligible to receive their degree.
- Department Review
- Once grades are posted, each department begins reviewing the records for students in their major(s), minor(s), and certificate program(s). They ensure all requirements have been completed.
- Registrar Review
- After the departments complete their clearances, the Office of the Registrar completes a final review of the General Education requirements for each student.
- Degree Awarded
- Once the degree is awarded, the record is officially sealed and cannot be changed or adjusted.
This process may take up to 6 weeks to complete. Once awarded, your degree will appear on your unofficial transcript within myWCU and on your official transcripts.
Once all degrees are awarded for a semester, a list is sent to our vendor who prints and mails all the diplomas to our students. All diplomas will be mailed to student's home address listed in myWCU.
The process for awarding degrees may take up to 6 weeks to complete. It will take another 4 - 6 weeks for students to receive their West Chester University diploma in the mail.
Click here for directions on how to invite international relatives to Commencement.