Program for Effective Teaching and Learning (PETAL)
Purpose & Preamble
PETAL is a collaborative and supportive faculty development program to promote innovative, effective, evidence-based teaching for all students, in and out of the classroom. The program equips faculty to be critically reflective practitioners by identifying and enacting best practices to remove barriers to student success, to achieve equitable outcomes, and, in the process, to re-envision the core function of our institution.
By the end of this program, faculty will be able to:
- Articulate their values and beliefs about teaching and learning as they relate to being a critically reflective practitioner, and relate these to participating in a community of practice.
- Demonstrate relevant equitable and inclusive practices that welcome all students, foster a sense of belonging, inspire lifelong learning, and help close equity gaps.
- Construct course materials that illustrate knowledge of accessibility, sustainability, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Integrate high impact practices into teaching and learning scenarios.
- Build and evaluate courses that effectively align learning goals, activities, and assessments.
- Identify and apply effective pedagogical practices and technological resources