Bicycling and Walking
Consider taking advantage of the many options for car-free commutes if you live close to campus:
- For students and employees residing in the Borough, bicycling and walking to campus are great options that reduce your carbon footprint, save you time looking for parking, save you money on gas and permits, and allow you to fit some exercise and fresh air into your busy day!
- On days with inclement weather, it’s easy to hop on WCU’s free Uptown Loop Shuttle Bus from many locations in the Borough for a dry and safe commute to campus https://www.wcupa.edu/_information/AFA/Facilities/shuttleBus/servicesSchedules.aspx.
- WCU supports biking and walking through the following services and programs:
Sustainability Council's Transportation Committee
Interested in advocating for better walking and biking options on, to, and from campus? Anyone – student, faculty member, employee, or community member – is welcome to attend and become active in the efforts of the SC Transportation Committee to make sustainable transportation easier, more convenient, and affordable to all of the WCU community. See the calendar on the homepage of WCU's Office of Sustainability for meeting dates and times or write firstname.lastname@example.org
to be added to the weekly email bulletin distribution list to learn about this and other opportunities.
Bicycle Fix-It Stations
WCU has two bicycle fix-it stations, fully equipped for basic bike repairs and to add air to tires. They’re located at the South Campus Clubhouse (within the South Campus Apts. complex) and on the Residential Quad outside University Hall on North Campus.
Urban Safe Cycling Workshops
The Office of Sustainability periodically offers Urban Safe Cycling Workshops in the fall and spring semesters. Upcoming workshop dates will be listed below when available!
- ABC (Air, Brakes, and Chain) Quick Checks
- Safe Mounting and Dismounting
- Bike Handling Skills
- Corner with Confidence
- Shoulder Check
Participants should bring a bike, helmet, and water. If you're interested in having a loaner bike provided to you for the workshop, please email email@example.com.
Campus Bicycle Racks
The university has five weather protected bicycle racks distributed across campus to keep your ride out of the elements. They are located at Sykes Student Union, in the Student Rec Center parking garage, at Tyson Hall, in the Matlack Street Parking Lot Garage, and in the New Street Parking Garage. If you have a recommendation for more locations, email us at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In addition to the covered racks on campus, the large number of traditional bicycle racks on campus make it possible for riders to ride nearly to the door of their destination and find a safe place to lock up.